Tis the Season
BEATING THE COMMON COLD, NATURALLY
Here are a few natural remedies to prevent yourself from catching a cold as we enter into Fall, and to treat the symptoms if one catches you. Nature supplies us with everything we need to fight viruses, and it can all be found at the Pacific Beach Tuesday Farmers’ Market so there’s no need to spend your time and energy inside a pharmacy loading up on pills.
1) Eat your C’s: Vitamin C is one of the most effective tools to help boost your immunity. Especially during cold season, you should be increasing your intake by eating the right foods. JR Organics has fresh thyme and parsley, the sweetest strawberries, and even broccoli all packed with this vitamin. Suzie's Farm can supply you with crisp, dark, leafy greens and bright bell peppers. Don’t forget to drink your orange juice: Paradise Valley Ranch has you covered with fresh squeezed Valencia orange juice and big bags of oranges to keep you strong and energetic.
2) Sip a glass of lukewarm water and Mikolich Farms honey mixed with cinnamon powder, or a squeeze of lemon from Rainbow Ranchito, to help boost your immune system during the cold season. (Honey should never be boiled- the heat kills its enzymes, leaving it vulnerable to bacteria.)
3) Get outside! Good airflow means less viruses flying around your head and you can absorb some much needed Vitamin D from our friend, the Sun.
4) Lose the stuffy head: Add a cupful of dried chamomile flowers (You can find fresh bouquets at Suzie’s Farm) to a pot of boiling water. Turn off the heat, cover, and let it steep for a few minutes. Then, using a towel over your head, inhale the steam and enjoy the herbal steam bath.
5) Do as grandma says, make chicken soup! The soup's salty broth keeps mucus thin (and taste better than cough syrup). Pick up a free range chicken from SonRise Ranch, carrots and garlic from Maciel & Family, and onions from the Produce Stand. Add fresh herbs to make a tasty, healing soup. You'll feel great afterwards!